VIRTUAL: Pre Cap Visual Inspection per MIL-STD-883 (TM 2017) (6/13/2023-6/16/2023)
Instructor: Thomas Green
Description: Hybrids/MCMs/RF Microwave Modules all require a visual inspection step just prior to encapsulation or hermetic seal. This is a critical process step that requires a high degree of operator skill and understanding of what to look for and reject as part of the inspection process. This course defines the inspection criteria based on traditional Mil Spec requirements in conjunction with industry accepted best commercial practices. Over 250 color photographs of actual production defects are reviewed and discussed in detail. The students are exposed to a variety of defects and how the defects relate to the materials and process flow. Students learn what to look for as part of Pre Cap visual inspection and how to interpret and apply the very latest MIL-STD-883 criteria. Click here to see the full outline.
The course is intended for quality assurance personnel, inspectors, QEs and Process engineers, component engineers and lead operators and others responsible for inspection of the hardware prior to the final package sealing process.
The following is an approximation of what will be covered in each online or “virtual” training session.
Session 1: Introduction and Overview
- Mil Spec Visual Inspection Requirements Flowdown
- Component ID
- Foreign Material or F.O.D. inspection and source requirements
Session 2: Component Attach
- TM 2017 Low mag IC/MMIC die and substrate attach inspection criteria and non-planar capacitor/resistor criteria
- Solder Criteria
Session 3: Wire and Ribbon Bonding
- TM 2017 Low mag wire and ribbon bond inspection criteria
Session 4: High Mag IC Die and MMIC Inspection and Passives
- TM 2010 IC High Mag Inspection criteria
- MIL-STD-750 Die level Inspection Criteria TM 2017 Table 1
- TM 2032 Passive Component inspection criteria for substrates, capacitors, inductors and resistors